Saturday, January 29, 2011

Festive vegan cooking

I was too busy doing before the New Year to post about my culinary accomplishments, but it's never too late.

Vegan shish kebabs

There's some kind of magic about presenting food in pieces on a stick.  (That's even more true for picky kids.) If I had served these vegetables in a bowl, I would have been facing a pile of leftovers, but these beauties disappeared in a flash!

If the barbecue is hot, you may well be sharing space with the usual meaty fare, but anyone would be envious of these banquets on a stick: steamed kumara, red potato, courgette (zucchini) and carrot, plus button mushrooms and tomato slices.  I rough cut everything to save time and it still looks fantastic!

DH drizzled some oil and worked his grilling magic...our guests were very happy.  And full.
These skewers were featured during my kitchen decluttering - I don't regret giving myself another chance to use them.

Vegan Meringues
Served on my preschool project - it's aging better than I am!
(kit by Angel Foods)


Warning!  Your children will love these - and it will look like you've had an angel at your table (or at least a gentle snowfall at your table).

I made a half-box batch with my super duper kitchen whipper.  Boy, would it be good exercise to do these by hand.  Let me know if you try it, and I will congratulate you!

It served for farewell end-of-school treats for Alex, Christmas lunch, and general noshing.  And they store well - the rest were perfectly good when we came back from our travels.  What, leftovers?  Yes, we had so many goodies that, against all odds, there were leftovers.

2 comments:

  1. how do you make vegan meringues?
    and i love vege kebabs on the bbq too, mmmm. eggplant is also really yummy just sliced and fried on the barbie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Becky!

    Alice Leonard from Angel Foods makes up the packets of special starches in kits (see the link). Then you mix the heck out of the special starches, water, and the caster sugar you add.

    Then just drop onto sheets and bake! Full instructions in kit, of course. I loved making her vegan marshmallows too, but there's more fiddling about with hot sugar syrup, so with kids about, I prefer the meringues.

    ReplyDelete