Thursday, September 30, 2010

The best shopping value around! Shhhh, it's a secret....

I'm going to share a huge secret with you - where the best deals are!  Always.  OK, you might have to work hard, sort through a few big piles, wrestle with some other people who are always in the way, but in the end, you have an unequalled bargain.

Shop at Home
No, I don't mean shop from your computer, or have trucks visit you at home.  I mean, shop from the piles of unused things in your own house.  Those things that you already spent money on and haven't used up.

Sound way too boring?  Try thinking of it this way instead.
  1. It's free.  You, know, that word that gets the most attention for advertisements around the world and triggers more spam-catchers too.  No more hard-earned, tax-paid money is going to leave you for these finds.
  2. When you find something you won't use - it can live somewhere else.  Whether you can make some money from it or just take it to a better place, there's a net gain.
  3. The time you spend shopping at home improves your own home instead of somebody else's bottom line.
And so waste turns into profit - for you! 

Home shopping stories
Tea, for me
In a cluttered shelf, I found a box of Raspberry Leaf teabags with one survivor.  One pleasant cup of tea later, my shelf looks better.  Score = 1 for me.

Break out the barbecue, it's looking like summer!
I found a packet of metal skewers in my lesser utensil drawer (not the greater, but the lesser).  These keep getting bounced back in because I think veggie shish kebabs are cool!  This time, I put them up with the barbecue tools and the very next day, made extremely cool and delicious veggie shish kebabs for myself and a visiting vegetarian guest.

Score 1 for me for placing these in the right home and score 2 for DH for manning the barbecue.  Mwah!

Greater and greater heights
Behind a box, I discovered a hanging height chart I've been meaning to use for literally years.  I got this when Alex was born, and he's now 5 and a half.  I measured from the floor, tacked it up, and got Alex to stand by it.

He had grown about 10 cm from his measurements at the chiropractor's office!  Wow!

Then I had a closer look at this chart...

Really close...
Let's all count together, class.  90, 95, 100, 120, 125...?!?!?!?!

I am not making this up.   As DH said, growth spurts just aren't what they used to be!

Score = 1 for me for finally using it to discover that it wasn't worth keeping even behind a box on a shelf.

 I score points on a win-win basis - and so will you!

No comments:

Post a Comment