So is this news to be celebrated? Is this a step in the right direction for vegans everywhere and time for a stampede to try the new offering to support McD's vegan efforts?
Yeah, nah. Time to watch (or re-watch) McLibel.
- Remember how crappy McDonald's is as an employer to vulnerable young and poor people. Anti-union barely begins to describe it.
- Remember how awful they are to their own franchisees.
- Remember how they target children in their advertising.
- Remember how they pressure their way into neighbourhoods and globalise the food economy, with their power undercutting business from local food outlets where the profits support local families.
- Remember how they consistently resist accountability from their animal product suppliers to be humane, sustainable, or even sanitary.
- Remember how their business and food philosophy is as anti-compassion as it is possible to get.
Lest we forget
Yes, I have taught my daughter to boo when we pass a McDonald's. I can't forget what I learned during the McLibel case. Yes, they are worse than other fast-food restaurants and supermarkets, if only because their size allows them to be.
No, I wouldn't cross the road to get FREE vegan food from them. Corporate criminals like Nestle and McDonald's bank on most of us forgetting their crimes. They're right.
Yes, it matters where you spend your money - you are voting to support that business's growth. There are lots of other nonvegan restaurants where you can already celebrate vegan options that have been available for years. Hooray!
Obquote from The Princess Bride
In the words of the (apparently) immortal Westley: "My brains, his steel, and your strength against sixty men, and you think a little head-jiggle is supposed to make me happy?" McDonald's head-jiggle may be in the vegan direction, but they're still McDonald's.